March 25, 2013

Before & After: Rocking Chair

My Mother-in-law gave us this glider chair so we would have something to rock little baby in. I didn't care much for its cushions but the chair it self was in good condition. So I took it home thinking I could fix it up and make it my own. During Christmas break I took the old cushions home to California so I could have my mom help make a plan of attack for it. The actual cushion parts were so old and disintegrated that they needed to be replaced, which I kind of guessed because I could feel every spring and spoke when I sat in the chair. So we found a little shop in Concord, CA Mom used once a long time ago and bought some high quality foam them. It was a little more expensive than I had hoped for but I told myself that the chair was free. We also were able to buy enough fabric to recover the new cushions for dirt cheap at Home Fabrics. I kinda just made up the pattern as I went and I think all in all it turned out pretty nice. So for about $88 I have a "new" chair that is comfortable and just as cute if not cuter than the ones I've seen at the stores.

Before
  • Foam: $65-70 (I can't remember exactly how much)
  • Fabric: $8 (And if I ever get tired of the fabric I won't feel bad about taking it off. Pretty good for upholstery fabric!)
  • Batting: $9
After

No comments:

Post a Comment