September 12, 2011

Make Ahead Meals

Since I have been married I have slowly gotten into a rut of not wanting to cook dinner. And it's not because I don't like to cook, its because I don't like to cook EVERY night (its just such a process). As a result from this "habit" of mine Justin and I have been eating out more and more. And not because we don't have food in the house but because we want to eat with out waiting more than 15 minutes for it to cook and we don't want to do the clean up. Sad. I know. Another result is that we are slowly gaining weight and we realize this is not good. So this semester I am going to attempt to make "Make ahead/freezer meals". This was an idea I had to fix our going out to eat instead of cooking problem. I figure if I have a few meals on hand and  mostly prepared it will help us to stay at home and in turn, eat healthier.
I have been scouring the internet looking for some good recipes to try and have found a few to start out with. So last Saturday, Justin went riding with his family while I stayed behind to finish up the check-ins for the apartments. And I figured it was the perfect time to cook up some make ahead meals while I waited for the stragglers to stop by and check-in. During the time Justin was gone I was able to prepare 3 different meals to have on hand when I'm not feeling like cooking. And while doing so, I found that I am totally okay to cook for a few hours all at once and make a huge mess then for an hour or so with a small mess every day. It was also kind of fun too! When I was done I wrote what the meal was on a freezer safe bag and the directions to reheat and what else needed to be done (sauces, assembly, etc) so the information was all right in one place.

If you want to try the recipes I used, here are the links:
Cornflake Chicken Tenders: http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/05/cornflake-chicken-tenders.html
Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos: http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/05/cilantro-lime-chicken-tacos.html
Crock Pot orange Chicken: http://team-t-adventures.blogspot.com/2010/03/crock-pot-orange-chicken.html

No comments:

Post a Comment